Proving that pineapples are a great all-rounder (did you know that they are in fact available all-year round), this quick and tasty pork taco recipe might just become your mid-week meal favourite.
With the weather in Sydney finally fining up this week I thought I would share a little sunshine on a plate with you this week.
There are two varieties of pineapples available in Australia. The top-on variety that shot to fame and demand since featuring in plenty of hipster instagram shots, and the golden top-off variety which is much sweeter and probably my favourite in desserts and for snacking. You can use either in this recipe, it’s more a matter of taste. Both go really well with the slightly sweet and spicy grilled pork fillet, chilli and coriander.
For a vegetarian version, roasted or stir-fried sweet potato chunks are great.
PS Stay tuned for an exciting Mexican-food-inspired GIVEAWAY later this week!
Spicy Pork Tacos with Pineapple Salsa
- 350 g pork fillet
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon peri peri seasoning
- 1 small pineapple
- ¼ small red onion
- small handful freshly chopped coriander
- ½ red long chili
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- good pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small avocado
- 1 lime
- 8 mini corn tortillas
- Preheat oven to 180C.
- Drizzle the pork with olive oil and sprinkle with peri peri spice mix, rubbing it well into the meat. You can cut the fillet in half to allow it to fit into the pan.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium high heat and sear the pork for 5-6 minutes on each side, turning regularly. When the meat is done, allow the meat to rest wrapped in aluminium foil for 5 minutes.
- Peel, core and finely dice the pineapple. Peel and finely slice the onion. Cut the chilli in half and remove seeds, finely dice the flesh. Finely chop the coriander. Combine the pineapple, onion, chilli and coriander in a bowl and season with apple cider vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Scoop avocado flesh into a small bowl and drizzle with juice from half a lime. Cut remaining lime half into wedges and reserve for serving. Heat tortillas wrapped in aluminium foil in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Once the pork has rested, slice it into 5mm-thin slices.
- To serve, top each tortilla with a spoonful of avocado, 4-5 slices of pork and a generous topping of pineapple salsa. Serve lime wedge on the side.