The Best Chewy Flourless Chocolate Brownies

Pin on Pinterest109 Share on Facebook0 Tweet about this on Twitter0 Google+ Email to someone

The Best Chewy Flourless Chocolate Brownies – chewy on the inside with just the right thin layer of almost crispy crust. They truly are one of the best brownies I’ve ever tried.

I have recently made good friends with a girl, {N}, who is gluten free. She loved my rendition of Manna from Heaven‘s lemon polenta cakes, which we shared over a morning tea one day and so when I popped around her place a week later,  she treated me to a delicious home-baked brownie. It was so lovely and chewy and rich… I was surprised it was gluten free and made from a packet mix!

We sat in the afternoon sun, indulged in the brownies and chatted about life and gluten free living – I recommended Petra’s blog to {N} as a good source of all things gluten free. Incidentally, she said she’d heard of it on the radio that morning!

As I drove home,  the rich taste of choc brownies kept lingering on my lips and I decided to find a gluten free brownie recipe I could make from scratch for our random brunch catch ups. I dug through my cookbooks thinking perhaps I could adapt a flourless cake recipe accordingly, but before I did, I thought I’d consult the queen of decadence and the domestic goddess herself, Nigella Lawson.

Her flourless chocolate brownie recipe was there, already researched, and frankly, it sounded perfect! And perfect it was – the best chocolate brownie I’ve ever had!

The Best Chewy Flourless Chocolate Brownies
Author:
Recipe type: brownies, cake, dessert, flourless, gluten-free
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 8

Adapted from Nigella Lawson's flourless chocolate brownies recipe. I have substituted walnuts for macadamias in this recipe because that's the only nuts I had on hand. They also make the brownie a little more Australian. You could use walnuts, hazelnuts or , indeed, macadamias. A nice splash of orange zest oil would also make a delectable addition to this scrumptious treat. Makes 16 squares
For The Best Chewy Flourless Chocolate Brownies:
  • 225g dark chocolate
  • 225g butter
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 100g brown sugar
  • 100g white sugar
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 150g almond meal
  • 100g chopped macadamias // or walnuts // or hazelnuts
Preheat oven to 170C (150C fan forced, 325F, gas mark 3). Line a 24cm brownie tin with some baking paper.
To make The Best Chewy Flourless Chocolate Brownies:
  1. Melt butter and chocolate in a medium saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
  2. Add sugar and vanilla extract. Mix to combine and allow to cool for 15 minutes.
  3. Using a whisk, beat in the eggs into the chocolate mixture.
  4. Add almond meal and chopped nuts. Mix thoroughly.
  5. Spoon into the brownie tin and bake in a pre-heated oven for around 30 minutes, or until the brownie is set on top and still a little soft to the touch in the middle. Allow to cool on a wire rack before removing from the tin.
  1. Cut brownie slice into even squares or rectangles and serve on its own or with some vanilla ice cream.

Comments:

21 Responses to The Best Chewy Flourless Chocolate Brownies

1. Awesome looking brownies. I’ll try the recipe substituting the sugar with dates and honey.

2. eatmarvin says:

Awesome recipe Martyna! I absolutely love chewy Chocolate Brownies! I could probably eat a whole tray.

3. Sounds great. I love macadamias!

4. Maureen says:

Amazing chewy brownies!! Love the nuts too.

5. Brownies with almond meal… what a wonderful combination, love it! Thanks for sharing 😉

6. That brownie looks light & flaky , never thought can do a flourless one

7. sunny says:

Definitely the best! Tried them yesterday and it tasted so chocolate-y it melts in your mouth! I used 70% dark chocolate, which I think made it a winner! Rich and decadent! I’m now more courageous to try more gluten-free recipes!

Thanks for this!

8. sunny says:

This recipe is so good, I’m actually looking for one with flour (since I have so much at home, but there isn’t one that is similar to this!). The Jamie Oliver one calls for more sugar than necessary. Do you have any suggestions on how much flour I should substitute for the almond meal in this recipe?

Thanks!

• Hi Sunny, you will probably be safe going up to half half in this recipe. You may need to add 1/4 tsp of baking powder just to help it lift a little. Bear in mind I haven’t tested this. The texture will also change slightly. I’ll do some more research and get back to you if I find a more educated guess.

9. sunny says:

Thanks for the tip. It is frustrating that, as brownie is originally American, most of the measurements are not in metric! Planning to bring this as a gift when visiting my friends tomorrow. Might just stick to this recipe and then experiment some more when I’ve got time XD
    I can see loads of brownies for breakfast, lunch and dinner in the next few weeks!

10. One of my dear friends is Coeliac and I’m always looking for more recipes to maker for her. I made a yummy gluten free banana cake the other day. It was almost as well received as your brownies were! Can’t wait to try this…

11. Emilie Turgeon says:

Has anyone tried cutting down the sugar and substituting with honey or maple syrup or dates? I have been looking for a nice chewy brownie that is not as sweet as the conventional kind (just too sweet for me, I’ve lost the habit), but I have found that between using whole wheat flour and reducing the sugar, my brownies tend to come out dry dry dry.

12. Jenny says:

Awesome recipe. Looks like it would be delicious :) Thanks so much for sharing.

Here is brownie recipe you might like.

Jenny

13. Wow these look so wonderful! I am on a grain and sugar free diet until March 25 (to see how I feel after a month)….I am thinking I could make these this weekend, it’s grain free…. 😐 *cry*

14. Sylvia Cary says:

Hi Martyna thanks I’m baking now,
    I often use White plate blog recipe ideas ( it’s in polish actually)
    From Polish -Canadian Sylwia :)

1. Pingback: Meal brownie | Divine1travele

2. Pingback: Chocolate Macadamia Nut Butter Spread PLUS 6 Other Macadamia Recipes | Wholesome Cook