Prawn and Pomelo Salad with Caramelised Coconut
A modern take on the traditional prawn cocktail, this Prawn and Pomelo Salad with Caramelised Coconut bursts with summery flavours!
When I saw a stack of pomelos at the local grocer’s the other day I got excited, because as much as I love grapefruit (a hybrid of pomelo and an orange), I absolutely adore the milder flavour and slightly more grainy texture of this fruit.
Known as Chinese grapefruit, the fruit is used in a lot of South East Asian cuisines, especially in salads, because the seeds don’t burst as easily as the case may be in other citrus, which means the juices don’t go spilling everywhere making a soggy mess. Perfect for a crab salad or a cooked prawn cocktail Asian-style!
And what better way to spruce up a tangy Asian seafood and citrus salad than with a touch of crunchy, caramelised coconut?
- 12 large cooked peeled prawns, tails removed
- 3 pomelo wedges
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 2 tbsp moist coconut flakes
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Chop prawns into 1cm pieces.
- Peel the pith off the pomelo wedges, break pieces into loose chunks.
- Combine fish sauce and lime juice in a bowl. Add prawns and pomelo seeds. Mix well. Set aside.
- preheat oven grill to hot.
- Mix coconut and brown sugar in a bowl.
- Spread sugared coconut on a baking tray lined with some non-stick baking paper.
- Place under the grill for 1-2 minutes or until the coconut starts to become golden brown.
- Remove from grill and allow to cool before handling.
- Divide prawn and pomelo mixture between your serving bowls. Top with some crunchy caramelised coconut.