{5 ingredient} Red Curry with Quail and Pineapple

Pin on Pinterest31 Share on Facebook0 Tweet about this on Twitter0 Google+ Email to someone

Forget duck. Try a combination of Thai red curry with the more delicate flavours of quail, 5 ingredients and ready in minutes.

For the past couple of weeks I’ve had this continuous craving for a delicously soupy quail and pineapple red curry. And even though I bought a sachet of Asian Home Gourmet‘s all-natural and gluten-free Thai Red Curry paste, and had a pack of Game Farm’s quail breasts on hand in the freezer, I kept hesitating… You see Mr Chipconnoisseur says he’s not a big fan of quail.

Finally, two Thursdays ago the time had come! Mr Chipconnoisseur was meant to be staying interstate for business, which meant only one thing for me: quail curry for diner! I must have had a quarter of it as I was cooking, the flavours from the paste were so intense, but mild at the same time, and the quail cooked beautifully in just a few minutes. I was looking forward to having some more for dinner-proper and lunch the next day.

Then the phone call came.

“I’m flying back tonight, and will be starving. Will you have dinner for me?”. Mild panic set in. Erm. What do I do?! I looked at the delicous curry sitting in the pot in front of me and thought; if I add a little chicken thigh to the mix Mr Chipconnoisseur should be fine

“Chicken and Pineapple Red Curry, mild”. Pause. Fingers crossed. “Sounds good, see you soon”. So, I quickly browned and added a couple of thigh fillets to the mix and he loved it! He requested seconds, and a lunch pack for the next day.

But I needed to come clean. And so, just last week, as we were sharing a dish of seared salmon – another novelty on Mr Chipconnoisseur’s menu, I told him the truth about the red curry, and he was pleasantly surprised. As for me, I know I’ll be adding Asian Home Gourmet‘s Thai Red Curry paste to my regular dinner repertoire, because just as the laksa paste I am addicted to, it’s tasty, additive-free and super easy to cook with, and now someone else likes it too.

{5 ingredient} Red Curry with Quail and Pineapple
Author:
Recipe type: Dinner, Curry, Quail
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 2-4

You could use chicken thigh fillets for this dish instead, but I like the slightly more refined flavour of quail breasts. Fresh pinapple could be used when in season, peeled, sliced and cut into bite-sized chunks.
For the Quail and Pineapple Red Curry:
  • 320g Game Farm quail breast fillets, skin removed and chopped in half
  • 1 (50g) sachet Asian Home Gourmet red curry paste
  • 2 (165ml) cans coconut milk
  • 2 ripe tomatoes, diced
  • 4 pineapple rings in juice, cut into pieces
  • 1 tbsp oil
  • Steamed white rice
  • Fresh coriander leaves
  • Fresh red long chillies, sliced
To make the Quail and Pineapple Red Curry:
  1. Heat oil in a medium stockpot over medium-high heat.
  2. Add the red curry paste and cook for about 1 minute, stirring.
  3. Add quail breasts and stir-fry for a minute.
  4. Add coconut milk. Bring to a boil. Cook for a further 5-7 minutes.
  5. Add pineapple and tomatoes. Cook for another minute.
  6. Turn off the heat.
  1. Serve the curry over steamed rice.
  2. Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and sliced chilli.

Comments:

21 Responses to {5 ingredient} Red Curry with Quail and Pineapple

1. Very nice recipe. I do curries very often and we love this dish at home … quite spicy !! We love spices ^^ Your pics are a new more time so yummy and very nice.
    See you.

2. Anne S says:

Oh my, this looks beautiful and I’m amazed how simple it is to make. Will have to try. Great shots.

3. Maria Santos says:

I’ve seen the pastes but never had the courage to buy them, now I see how easy they are to use. And sounds very fresh and healthy. Quail is a nice choice.

4. Susan Y says:

Yum! Better than takeaway.

5. Eha says:

Now, to find quail in this semi-rural area! Better not file today’s blog and look for this ‘Game Farm’ tomorrow! Easy to make it your way, tho’ adding pine is somewhat new for me! Also, normally make my own red curry paste, but on these busy days . . . So, methinks you have managed to teach me something again 😀 !

6. Nami | Just One Cookbook says:

Quail curry sounds good! And the best part is that this is so easy to make!!!

7. I love to see you do Green Thai Curry with Beef, if you have not 😀

8. Looks beautiful! So impressed that it contains so few ingredients! I’d sorely love to try quail 😀 I ought to, off the record.

9. Karen says:

Your photos are beautiful. Not easy to find quail in our area but I know it would be great with chicken as well.

10. Sissi says:

I must admit I have never had curry with duck, not to mention quail. Excellent idea! Tomatoes and pineapples are a very creative twist to the Thai curry versions I know.

11. Curry with qual, this is so trendy and cool! I have been meaning to make something with quail!

12. Hahaha, I loved that you slipped a little chicken in but had to ‘fess up! My hubs is the same.. what’s for dinner.. aren’t they the luckiest guys on the planet? I know yours is.. just look at this dish!

• Aw, thanks Smidge! Incidentally, he was at a work function last night and said that the food was very average. He concluded that he probably thought that because he eats so well at home. And yes, although he has become a lot more adventurous, I felt I needed to tell him… This way Incan say he’s had it and liked it!

13. Michelle says:

I’ve got some (wild) quail in the freezer. What a great idea! And such beautiful pictures, as always.

Your husband is SO lucky!

15. I am usually partial to a duck version of this curry but seeing this has made me feel like I need a change! It looks beautiful :)

16. What a treat. This looks just amazing.

Very nice and simple Thai curry and I bet that would taste real good!

18. I just found your blog through the DMBLGiT roundup. I am so glad I discovered it – you have so many beautiful recipes! You have a new fan :-).

I would like to invite you to share this post (and other posts :-) ) on a new photo based recipe sharing site that launched this month. The idea is simple: all recipe photographs are published within minutes of submission. And, of course, the images link back to the author’s site.

It’s called RecipeNewZ (with Z) – http://recipenewz.com

I hope you get a chance to visit and to share some of your delicious posts with our viewers. It would be a pleasure to have you on board :-)

1. Pingback: {5 ingredient} Red Curry with Quail and Pineapple | The Asian Food Gazette. | Scoop.it