5 Ingredients or less Allergy-friendly Australian Autumn Complete meals Dairy free Dinner Entertaining Family meals Fish Gluten free Kids' meals Quick and easy Soup Winter

Oven-baked Paprika Salmon + Cream of Leek and Potato Soup

Two delicious meals in under 20 minutes that are made with only a handful of ingredients. Serve together or separately.

I absolutely adore salmon, in all of its incarnations, but I seem to be the only one in this household who does. Which means that this wonderful fish full of natural goodness is normally relegated to a lunchtime menu, for one.

The other week, as I was busy recipe testing for clients, writing for the blog, doing all sorts of household chores and prepping a 3 course feast for datenight, I got a sudden craving for a nice juicy salmon treat. I didn’t have time to stuff around the stove pan-fry it, because that requires almost udivided attention so I decided to whack it in the oven and hope that it would turn out. I rubbed the fillets with oil and sprinkled, generously I might add, with smoky paprika. That’s it. Within 15 minutes I had a satisfying meal that struck just the right chord.

Later that night Mr Chipconnoisseur and I had said datenight. For our entree I served a cream of leek and potato soup. His was topped with fried salami sticks, mine with chunks of the leftover paprika oven-baked salmon. It was perfect, and that’s why I thought today I’d share both recipes with you.

Oven-baked Paprika Salmon + Cream of Leek and Potato Soup
Both recipes are super easy to make and taste delicious together. Serve with a side of roasted truss cherry tomatoes, or add crumbled salmon to salads or the the Potato and Leek soup. I used regular brushed potatoes for the soup, which is also great served with some fried salami or chorizo.
    Servings Prep Time
      • 1 tbsp smoky paprika
      • 2 vines of truss cherry tomatoes
      For the Cream of Leek and Potato Soup:
      • 2 leeks, white part only, sliced
      • 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
      • 2 cups chicken stock
      • salt and pepper to taste
      • 2 tbsp chopped dill to serve
      Servings:
      To make the Oven-baked Paprika Salmon:
      1. Line a small baking tray with non-stick baking paper and grease it generously with extra oil, about 2 tablespoons.
      2. Place salmon fillets on the paper, skin down and a couple of inches apart.
      3. Rub a tablespoon of oil all over each fillet and sprinkle generously with smoky paprika.
      4. Add truss cherry tomatoes to the tray.
      To bake:
      1. Bake salmon fillets (along with the tomatoes) in the preheated oven for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, make the soup.
      2. Turn off the oven, and with the oven door open, let it rest for another 3 minutes or so.
      1. Serve salmon with some bread, roasted tomatoes or a garden salad.
      To make the Cream of Leek and Potato Soup:
      1. Place all soup ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Blend with a stick blender.
      1. Divide soup between bowls and serve warm with your choice of toppings which can include the salmon, fried chorizo, croutons.

Eha June 18, 2012 at 1:03 pm

What a pair of wonderfully tasty and SO easy to make dishes! Love salmon and use smoky paprika all the time: dumb bunny has not put them together before 🙁 ! And the soup sounds like ‘potage parmentier’ of my youthful cook days without the buckets of cream, if I remember correctly? Kudos!

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook June 25, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Yes, normally lots of cream is added but I like this lighter version. If you like a little dairy in it, then milk would also work a treat. As for paprika (and salmon) you may be starting to see a pattern in my recipes… on a paprika binge!

Maureen (@OrgasmicChef) June 18, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Love that soup and the salmon looks perfectly cooked. Date nights are very special. 🙂

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook June 25, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Indeed they are special Maureen. We don’t get too many of them.

Vishakha June 18, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Gotta love Salmon in any form! Looks perfect just in itself 🙂

frugalfeeding June 18, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Don’t worry, I adore salmon and this looks great! Really amazing colour. I think I prefer trout, but that’s by-the-by. This is a great looking dish with lovely photos.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook June 25, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Thank you – I’m a bit the same. Trout and salmon are almost interchangable for me, but a little harder to get.

rsmacaalay June 18, 2012 at 6:28 pm

That salmon would really taste great on that soup!

Miss Piggy June 18, 2012 at 9:43 pm

Looks delish! And so simple…I never thought of putting salmon with paprika, which is silly as I love them both so much.

Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide June 18, 2012 at 10:04 pm

Katherine picked up some leeks at the farmers market. I might have to make this soup. The whole meal looks great.

saffronandhoney June 18, 2012 at 11:16 pm

I love the combination of the soup with the salmon on top! A lovely, satisfying lunch!

Courtney June 19, 2012 at 2:39 am

We LOVE salmon over here – and I really like the pairing of these two.

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy June 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I love salmon and yours looks so flaky and moreish. The entire dish is looks very pretty and refined yet I know it would be very comforting in this cold weather.

Bam's Kitchen June 19, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Fried Salami sticks! Mr. Mr Chipconnoisseur is killing me. By all means the salmon was of course the best attribute to the dish.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook June 25, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Yes, he is funny like that… Although surprised me the other day by eating an entree of smoked salmon an fennel. We were at a restaurant. I aksed if I should make it at home. You know what he said? “Mmmm steak”. 😉

Nami | Just One Cookbook June 20, 2012 at 4:38 am

So comforting look! I have leeks in the fridge and thought about making soup or gratin. This sounds very easy to make and I already love this soup from the photos. Very nice!

annashortcakes June 23, 2012 at 1:06 pm

This is lovely! I can’t wait to try this. Beautiful photos too!