5 Ingredients: Rum and Raisin Ice Cream
Speaking of ice cream… this might be the best homemade Rum and Raisin ice cream I’ve ever had – made with 5 simple ingredients. Perfect indulgence for the festive season or any other time, really.
When I first came to Australia I was surprised about how expensive scoop ice cream was here! $4.95 for a scoop seemed exorbitant and the argument that you were getting value for money didn’t fly with me either. Why would I want to taste just one flavour? With Aussie scoops the size of a pint it just didn’t make sense…
The ice-cream itself in Poland was different too. More like the Italian gelato, made with real milk – not powdered, and sweetened ever so lightly to let the flavours really shine through.
Growing up, I was fortunate enough to have access to one of our family friend’s patisseries where one of the best sellers was their home-churned ice-cream. It was ice cold and not at all gluggy or chewy as some of the commercially made ice-cream can be.
I soon developed a taste for a variety of flavours with the slightly grown up concoction of rum and raisin becoming one of my favourites. I remember having a medley of four to five scoops per serving, but at $1 per ping pong ball-sized scoop that made sense.
Dad and I would often race to see who could finish theirs first.
Now that I have my own ice cream maker, I’ve taken on the challenge and recreated the Rum’n Raisin ice-cream the way I remember. Cold and aromatic with a distinct milky flavour and those gorgeous, plump and juicy fruits.
And, just like before, I can’t stop at only one scoop… Happy first day of summer indeed.
- ¾ cup raisins
- ¼ cup dark sweet rum (I used Bundaberg rum)
- 2 cups full cream milk
- 1 cup thickened cream
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- Freeze your ice-cream maker bowl for at least 12 hours, or as indicated by manufacturer's instructions.
- Place raisins and dark sweet rum in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over low heat. Take off the heat, transfer to a small bowl and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl whisk together milk, thickened cream and maple syrup until blended.
- Pour mixture into your ice-cream maker and churn for 20 minutes. Add cooled rum and raisins,. Churn for another 10 minutes or until the mixture is thick and resembles soft-serve ice-cream.
- Transfer to a freezer-safe dish, cover and freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Thaw out for 5 minutes before serving.