5 Ingredients or less Allergy-friendly Breakfast Dairy free Entertaining Gluten free Lunch Quick and easy Recipes Salad Vegan Vegetarian

5 Ingredients: Roasted Avocado Guacamole

A delicious chunky Roasted Avocado Guacamole from scratch made with only 5 ingredients and a few minutes of your time. Probably the most famous Mexican dish.

Roasted Avocado Guacamole

When I order avocado on my burger or toasted sandwich I want to see chunks of the real thing, not green slime the consistency of sour cream, wouldn’t you agree?

Guacamole is one of my favourite dips, but so often the store bought versions disappoint. They contain very little of the fruit and plenty of fillers: cream cheese, cream, milk powders… Yuck!

So today, in a true Wholesome Cook spirit I’m saying no to store-bought dips (I’m sure there is an exception, but I am yet to find it), and making my own chunky guacamole from scratch. It’s roasted for extra fun and toasted flavour but if you’re stuck for time you can simply omit the 10 minute roasting step.

Roasted Avocado Guacamole

Roasted Avocado Guacamole
5 Ingredients: Roasted Avocado Guacamole
While traditionally Jalapenos are used to add a spice factor to the dip, for a nice colour contrast I added red long chilli instead. To help lift the acidity of the dip and keep it green for longer, I also used baby cocktail onions instead of raw onion. Besides raw onion can leave you with bad breath, and I'm sure you don't want that. As mentioned, you can omit the roasting / grilling step if you don't have time, but I find that you can pre-heat the oven grill and roast them while getting all your ingredients ready.
    Servings
    Servings
    Roasted Avocado Guacamole
    5 Ingredients: Roasted Avocado Guacamole
      Servings
      Servings
      For the Roasted Avocado Guacamole:
      • 1 ripe avocado
      • 1/2 red long chilli chopped finely, seeds removed if you prefer
      • 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander
      • 5 mini cocktail onions chopped finely
      • 1/2 lime juiced
      Servings:
      1. Preheat your oven grill to high (about 200C, 400F).
      To roast the avocado:
      1. Cut avocado in half and remove seed. Place halves, skin side down, on a roasting tray and grill for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
      To make Roasted Avocado Guacamole:
      1. Scoop roasted avocado into a bowl.
      2. Add lime juice, chopped chilli, coriander and onions.
      3. Mash around well using a spoon or mortar and pestle.
      1. Serve Roasted Avocado Guacamole with a side of corn chips, slices of fresh baguette.
      To store:
      1. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days and use on burgers and sandwiches.

Subscribe to receive Recipes to your Inbox:

Just A Smidgen June 29, 2012 at 1:19 pm

Very interesting.. I’ve never roasted an avocado. I’m sure it would have a much richer taste! Wonderful, healthy and fresh looking!

Eha June 29, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Interesting!! I have never roasted avocado for guacamole either!! Want to try and see the difference in looks and flavour. Not sure about the mini cocktail onions as I happen to kind’of dislike them, but not mind ‘onion breath’ a’tall, a’tall, a’tall as the Irish state it 🙂 !

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook June 29, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Hehe – the cocktail onions are really not that offensive in this dish. add a little crunch and a different dimension of acidity. But you’re right, regular or Spanish onion would do just fine.

lateraleating June 29, 2012 at 2:43 pm

I’ve done weird things with avocados (we eat them mashed with sugar in my family) but have never roasted them, will give this a shot.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook June 29, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I’ve never heard of it with sugar (although I have in desserts). Roasting or heating under a grill really brings out the nutty flavours in the avocado.

Maureen (@OrgasmicChef) June 29, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Roasted? how cool is this, you magnificent cooker person you. It looks fantastic.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook June 29, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Haha – L, the little girl, calls me Cooker! Thanks Maureen.

frugalfeeding June 29, 2012 at 7:01 pm

That looks incredible. I’m so impressed with the way you’ve presented it.

Courtney June 30, 2012 at 12:31 am

Hmmm, I kind of love the idea of roasting the avocado – I think it’s genius!! I bet it adds just a slightly different flavor.

kat June 30, 2012 at 8:40 am

I just love your photos! You always take the most beautiful pics! 🙂

RecipeNewZ (@RecipeNewZ) June 30, 2012 at 9:27 am

Wonderful guacamole, certainly something to try!

rsmacaalay July 1, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Very interesting twist to a good classic, never had thought of roasting avos. Love this recipe

Anna July 3, 2012 at 11:04 am

Great idea to use the mini cocktail onions – would never have thought of that! Yum…

Nami | Just One Cookbook July 4, 2012 at 6:58 am

I’ve never roasted avocado before but I recently saw avocado being grilled. Cooking avocado is going to be my next experiment! We, especially my son, loves guacamole, and he doesn’t mind eating this for every snack. Thank you for the easy recipe!!

Debbie July 5, 2012 at 1:28 pm

I live right on the border of Mexico so Mexican food is everywhere where I live and I’ve never heard guacamole fixed that way, but it sounds very interesting. For those of you have never thought of cooking avocados it I have an amazing treat for you…..Fried Stuffed Avocado!!! It’s absolutely amazing!!! It is usually stuffed with white cheese and either already cooked chicken or beef fajitas. Simply cut avocados in half, take out the seed, take the peel off ofcourse, put whatever you’d like inside and put avocado back together. You then cover it in a lite batter and fry it or even bake it. Delicious!!!!

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook August 24, 2012 at 9:49 am

Hi Debbie, those baked avocado suggestions sound delicious, I’ll have to try. As for fixing guacamole in a mortar and pestle, it is in fact a traditional method – checkout this month’s Mexican issue of Saveur magazine, they have the authentic mortar and pestle for guac in there. 🙂

Jessica November 17, 2013 at 12:57 pm

What is the effect of the roasted Avocado? Smokiness? Textural difference?

Pumpkin and Coconut Dip | Plus 5 Other Homemade Dip Ideas | Wholesome Cook March 29, 2014 at 3:03 pm

[…] Roasted Avocado Guacamole […]

Easy Grilled Guacamole- Only Five Ingredients! - BBQ Dragon April 10, 2014 at 10:12 am

[…] Author: www.wholesome-cook.com Recipe type: Dip Prep time:  5 mins Cook time:  10 mins Total time:  15 mins Serves: 2 While traditionally Jalapenos are used to add a spice factor to the dip, for a nice colour contrast I added red long chilli instead. To help lift the acidity of the dip and keep it green for longer, I also used baby cocktail onions instead of raw onion. Besides raw onion can leave you with bad breath, and I’m sure you don’t want that. As mentioned, you can omit the roasting / grilling step if you don’t have time, but I find that you can pre-heat the oven grill and roast them while getting all your ingredients ready. Ingredients For the Roasted Avocado Guacamole: […]

The 30 Best Paleo Guacamole Recipes October 21, 2014 at 11:02 pm

[…] 13. 5-Ingredients Roasted Avocado […]

Gerri July 4, 2018 at 10:32 am

Delicious, made this today for our supper tonight along with tacos and homemade roasted salsa as well.