This Italian Tomato Salad is my summer jam. ON REPEAT…
What are the best tomatoes for an Italian Tomato Salad?
Use heirloom tomatoes. Varieties such as Oxheart, Beefsteak, Brandywine, German Red Strawberry – basically anything that’s big, meaty, and has little seeds compared to flesh. Sun-ripened to perfection… you’ll be able to taste the difference.
I was lucky enough to get a constant supply from my friend’s garden this summer but you can also find them at good grocers and places like @harrisfammarkets. Trust me, it’s worth the search – your Italian Tomato Salad will taste so good.
Best way to store tomatoes
If you want maximum flavour store your tomatoes OUT of the fridge. They taste better at room temperature or even popped on a window sill to help them ripen further. Once cut open or sliced, store in the fridge.
About the Italian Tomato Salad
Inspired by the simple food of Southern Italy and France, when these sorts of salad and produce reigns in summer. I definitely recall enjoying servings of this salad in Venice and in Nice.
Topped with cottage cheese – burrata works really well here too. Served on the most delicious extra virgin olive oil fried sourdough. Capers… salt, pepper… more olive oil. Great for nourishing sun-kissed skin from within too for that perfect summer glow.
Give it a go and you’ll want to have it for breakfast, lunch and dinner ALL SUMMER LONG! And it will feel like you’re somewhere in the South of Italy. I promise.
📸 Food Photographer + Stylist. Author👩👧Mum.
Sharing recipes + kitchen tips + client work
✉️ DM for Collabs | 👇 More content via link
Ultimate Italian Tomato Salad on Olive Oil Toast
- Extra virgin olive oil I used @bertollioliveoil_australia
- 3 slices sourdough bread
- 200 g cottage cheese I used @brancourtsdairy
- 2 large heirloom tomatoes oxheart, strawberry, brandywine
- 1 tbsp capers in vinegar I used @sandhurstfinefoodsau
- 1 large garlic clove
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a large frying pan. Add bread and cook on medium high heat for 1-2 mins, until golden on each side. Transfer to plate. Spread with cottage cheese. Cut tomatoes into wedges and scatter on top. Sprinkle with capers. Crush and sprinkle with garlic. Drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil. Season with pepper and salt.