Delicious gluten and dairy free friands filled with summer’s best flavours of strawberries, coconut and lime. Great with a cup of hot tea in winter.
Last Friday I attended the Sydney installment of Australia’s largest food and wine festival, the Good Food and Wine Show. One of the new finds this year included Brookfarm‘s absolutely stunning award-winning macadamia oil. I grabbed 2 bottles and went on my way, with a few samples of their new gluten free muesli (yes!) and gluten free Porrij porridge – thanks guys.
Now it may come as a surprise that I have been able to find fresh strawberries as we are now a third of the way into winter. I guess we are really blessed that way in Australia. A variety of climates helps produce delicious fruits and veg almost all year round. These beautiful, flavorful Queensland strawberries come into season right about now and at $2 a punnet that’s a real steal, especially in winter!
Inspired by the ingredient and a delivery of brand new Baker’s Secret bakeware thanks to Impact Communications, I had decided to make summery friands. I don’t normally like to “waste” fresh strawberries in baked goods, but I thought that a fruitty friand would be the best match for the colder weather during our Aussie winter.
This friand recipe is yet another adaptation of my gluten and dairy free fig tarts – it’s just so versatile! This time I added some coconut and lime to the mix as well, which gave me a perfect excuse to also use Brookfarm’s delicious macadamia oil and Kokomo’s coconut water instead of the apple sauce I normally use to increase the moistness of the friands.
- 2 eggs, separated into whites and yolks
- 40g white sugar
- 115g almond meal
- ¼ cup dessicated coconut
- ½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- ⅛ cup macadamia oil (or peanut or light tasting olive oil)
- ⅛ cup coconut water
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- 6 medium-sized ripe strawberries, hulled and diced
- extra oil and gluten free flour for greasing and dusting the tin
- icing sugar, moist shredded coconut, 1 tsp of lime juice drizzled over the top or lime icing (icing sugar mixed with lime juice)
- Using an electric mixer or whisk, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until light and flufy.
- Add almond meal, dessicated coconut, baking powder, macadamia oil and coconut water. Add lime zest and juice. Mix well to combine.
- Add egg whites and fold through the mixture.
- Add diced strawberries and mix gently to distribute the fruit.
- Divide batter evenly between 8 holes of the friand tin.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the friands are just starting to turn golden.
- Dust the friands with icing sugar or drizzle with some lime icing. Top with shredded coconut if desired.