Quinoa, Coconut and Salted Peanut Butter Cookie Dough | Vegan DF GF
Oh Em Gee: This simple Quinoa, Coconut and Salted Peanut Butter Cookie Dough is sooo good! A great all-natural and low sugar treat for kids. Eat raw or bake into biscuits. Vegan and gluten-free. What more could you want?
Last Friday was the last day of September (spring) school holidays, so to bid the holidays a proper farewell we ended up having a house full of kids for an all-day play date. The boys did their usual boy-stuff; climbed trees, rode skateboards and scooters and attempted to stay, generally-speaking, pretty cool. After a short play outside, the girls set their mind on baking.
It was 30°C outside and their cheeks were as red as cherries from chasing the boys, but that did not seem to bother them. It also did not bother them that there were games to be played, craft to be made, puzzles to be put together. They insisted.
And so, skipping ropes, games and Squinkies aside, we quickly made some homemade slushies to cool off and whipped up a batch of these rather indulgent-sounding Quinoa, Coconut and Salted Peanut Butter Cookies! Since it was hot we didn’t bake them until the next day, and to be honest, I loved the cookie dough version a lot better.
“So, what’s in them?”, asked the hungry T-Rex.
All things coconut to start: coconut flour (thanks V for getting some for me from Melbourne), a smidgen of coconut sugar, organic coconut cream and extra virgin coconut oil. There are sea salt flakes, all-natural 100% smooth peanut butter, chopped dark vegan chocolate with goji berries (Loving Earth 62% Raw Cacao Goji & Camu Camu) and last but not least quinoa flakes. Having said that, coconut sugar and vegan chocolate can be subbed by using dark brown sugar and regular dark choc chips.
“Yum”, he exclaimed, “I’m going vegan!”. And so the play continued into the late afternoon.
- ¼ cup all-natural 100% peanut butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ cup organic low fat coconut cream, (plus extra)
- 3 tbsp (extra) virgin coconut oil, melted
- ½ tsp sea salt flakes
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ½ cup quinoa flakes
- 25g (4-5 squares) dark (70% cocoa) chocolate, chopped finely
- In a large bowl mix together wet ingredients: peanut butter, maple syrup, coconut cream and coconut oil.
- Add sea salt flakes and coconut sugar and mix to combine.
- Now add dry ingredients: coconut flour, quinoa flakes and chopped chocolate.
- Mix all together to form a dough. Add a little coconut cream if the mixture is too dry to form into balls.
- Scoop ⅛ cup of dough and split that in half. Form balls and place on a serving plate.Serve with a glass of (your choice of) milk.
- Preheat oven to 200C (180C fan-forced, 400F, gas mark 6)
- Flatten previously prepared dough balls slightly and place on a baking paper lined tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 minutes or until the cookies are starting to turn golden.
- Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Store Cookie Dough and Biscuits separately in an airtight container in the pantry