Mini Beef Hot Dogs are a great treat on the weekends, made with organic beef sausages and served with the Best Barbecue Mustard they are that much more delicious!
During the week I am never too fussed about sausages. But come weekend, in fact from Friday onwards, the thought of a sausage sizzle happening somewhere nearby has me drooling on the edge of my seat, ready to pounce. And I make a killer barbecue mustard to top off the weekend indulgence.
There’s something magical about an Aussie sausage in a bun. I know this must be true, because one time we actually hosted a charity sausage sizzle at a local Bunnings, and the crowds were pouring in from everywhere. So much so, that by 3pm we had sold out of 900 sausage hot dogs and needed to replenish our stocks. Yep, we served 900 sausages in 6 hours – that’s a hot dog every 24 seconds!!! Needless to say after that day at the barbecue Mr Chipconnoisseur proclaimed: no more sausages for a year! But one whiff of a sizzle at the soccer ground and the cravings soon returned…
When we get sausages for home we like to buy organic. I know there is plenty of negative publicity surrounding the big supermarkets, but we don’t always have time to visit our local farmer’s market. And so, I’ve come to enjoy Woolies Macro Organic meat range and their organic beef chipolatas are perfect for this dish. Having said that any type of mini sausages would do as long as you try this:
The Best Barbecue Mustard
It’s a little invention of mine, inspired by a Polish musztarda grillowa (mustard for the grill). It’s a 5 ingredient combination of mild American mustard, barbecue sauce, wholegrain mustard and spices: smoky paprika and ground coriander. I can seriously eat this by the spoonful! So good! Make a larger batch and keep in a squeezy bottle in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
So, tell me, what’s your favourite condiment? Do you have one, or a couple? Do you mix them or like them straight?
Mini Beef Hot Dogs with the Best Barbecue Mustard
For the Mini Beef Hot Dogs:
- 8 mini beef sausages
- 1/2 red capsicum cut into strips
- 8 crusty dinner rolls (hot dog bun-shaped)
- cheddar cheese optional
- handful of mixed lettuce greens
For the Best Barbecue Mustard:
- 4 tbsp mild American mustard
- 2 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp smoky paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
To make the Mini Beef Hot Dogs:
- Cook sausages and capsicum strips in a pan or on a barbecue until sausages are cooked through and capsicum strips slightly char-grilled.
- Slice bread rolls lengthways but not through. Add some cheese, if using, lettuce leaves, charred capsicum and sausage.
- Top with your favourite condiment, or try this Barbecue Mustard instead.
To make the Best Barbecue Mustard:
- Combine both mustards with barbecue sauce and spices. Mix well and serve.