5 Ingredients or less Allergy-friendly Australia Day Australian Christmas Dairy free Dessert / Sweets Egg free Gluten free Guides and How Tos Recipes Summer Valentines Day Vegan Vegetarian

Homemade Cherry Ripe Bites with No Added Sugar

Cherry Ripe Bites

These Homemade Cherry Ripe Bites taste exactly like the bars you get from the shops! Made with only 5 ingredients they contain No Added Sugar – only fresh fruit!

What’s your favourite candy bar? I would have a hard time choosing between a creamy Bounty and the Aussie Cherry Ripe. See the pattern? Yep, both contain coconut!

Since I’ve already made homemade Bounty balls, it was time to reinvent the Cherry Ripe.

You see the original Cherry Ripe is made with glace cherries, which have extra sugar (and preservative) added. Even dried tart cherries have added sugar, so I passed on that idea. Instead I roasted some fresh cherries myself. But don’t worry, my fresh cherry version, with no added sugar, is still sweet enough.

And because I’ve developed this recipe for the Berry Nice to Meet You Blog Hop, I’ve added some homemade dry-roasted strawberry powder for extra flavour and sweetness.  As this step takes a couple of hours, you could use store-bought strawberry powder, or the same amount of dried goji berries instead.

If you’d prefer to go dairy-free or vegan with these, simply use dairy-free chocolate chips or make your own vegan chocolate.

And feel free to play with shapes.

I used a rubber ice cube tray from this range – it needs to be rubber, because the filling, although set, is a little soft so it won’t come out as easily out of a regular hard plastic mould. Or, you could just as easily use a small rectangular container to make your treats into bars.

Cherry Ripe Bites
Homemade Cherry Ripe Bites with No Added Sugar
While homemade dry-roasted strawberry dust is used in this recipe, you can just as well substitute it store-bought powder or with equal amount of dried goji berries. You will need latex gloves to pit the cherries and a silicone ice cube tray to make these cherry ripe bites. Otherwise shape into a block and cut into bars or bites.
    Servings
    Servings
    Cherry Ripe Bites
    Homemade Cherry Ripe Bites with No Added Sugar
      Servings
      Servings
      For the Cherry Ripe Bites:
      • 250 g fresh cherries
      • 2 tbsp dry-roasted strawberry powder* OR 2tbsp goji berries
      • 3/4 cup dessicated coconut
      • 1 tbsp coconut oil melted
      • 140 g dark chocolate melted
      Servings:
      To make the Dry-Roasted Strawberry Powder:
      1. Preheat oven to 110C (90C fan-forced, 225F, gas mark 1/4).
      2. Wash strawberries are remove stems.
      3. Slice strawberries into 4mm thick slices and spread on a paper-lined baking tray.
      4. Roast for 2-3 hours, until strawberries have dried out.
      5. When dry, grind to a powder in a coffee grinder or blender.
      To roast the Cherries:
      1. Preheat oven to 160C (140C fan-forced, 325F, gas mark 3).
      2. Cut cherries in half and remove pit.
      3. Spread cherries, cut side up, on a paper-lined baking tray and roast for 20 minutes.
      To make the Homemade Cherry Ripe Bites:
      1. Place roasted cherries and strawberry powder in a 2 cup capacity jug. Blend using your stick blender until smooth.
      2. Add dessicated coconut and melted coconut oil. Mix to combine.
      3. Fill a silicone ice cube tray with the cherry berry mixture and place in the fridge for 1 hour to set.
      4. Once set, remove from the mould.
      5. Melt dark chocolate in a small bowl (in the microwave is fine, heating for 20 seconds at a time then mixing).
      6. Dip cherry ripe bites in melted dark chocolate. Set aside on baking paper for the chocolate to set.
      To store:
      1. Keep Cherry Ripe Bites in an airtight container in a cool, dry place or in the fridge for upto 1 week.
      Recipe Notes

Recipe at Wholesome Cook

Make Ahead Gingerbread Cookies Two Ways

Authentic Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings

Spiced Beetroot and Chocolate Cake

Steph August 20, 2012 at 10:57 am

OH EM GEE!!! I just fell off my chair trying to reach into the screen and eat that cherry ripe!

Anne S August 20, 2012 at 10:58 am

If this is not the cutest presentation of a cherry ripe then I don’t know what is! 5 ingredients too… AWESOME! Off to check out your Bounty recipe now.

Amanda August 20, 2012 at 11:21 am

Lordy, these look just amazing! And you say you have a Bounty recipe too?! Must find that one!

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook August 20, 2012 at 11:28 am

Yup! Just click on the homemade Bounty balls link in the post 🙂

Jennifer @ Delicieux August 20, 2012 at 11:22 am

Wow, these look fantastic Martyna!!! I don’t think these would last long in our house 😀

Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy August 20, 2012 at 11:47 am

Wow, these look delightful. What beautiful presentation and a great recipe. These I must try.

Kerry Anne August 20, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Every time I open a Wholesome Cook email I am amazed at your creativity and ability to take the ordinary and turn it into the extraordinary. Cherry ripe bars are my favourite and now I know how to make them more wholesome. Thank you Wholesome Cook.

Maureen | Orgasmic Chef August 20, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I’m in awe of anyone who can make chocolates that look this good. 🙂

Minxie August 20, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I’m going to try the vegan version of these. Thanks for the inspiration and the link to the vegan chocolate recipe. It’s been a while since I was excited about a recipe makeover like this. Love.

Amy August 20, 2012 at 1:02 pm

this looks so yum!!

Anna August 20, 2012 at 2:15 pm

This is super cool Martyna! Something my girls would be excited to make! Love that you kept and stems and topped them on the cherry ripe. Really cute. xx

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook August 20, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Hi Anna, the stems were actually more of an afterthought. I was just going to scatter them around for the photos. And then a light bulb went off in my head! Enjoy 🙂

JJ @ 84thand3rd August 20, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Amazing, simply amazing. I have been thinking about how to make cherry ripe bars for ages and never would have come up with roasting cherries or making strawberry dust (far out it sounds divine!!!). Will have to try this!

Phuoc'n Delicious August 20, 2012 at 4:29 pm

WOW! This is amazing! Love that you actually roast the cherries and added an additional berry kick.

Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy August 20, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Cherry Ripes are my partners favourite chocolate bar. I am totally making these for him for his birthday!! LOVE the strawberry dust too.

Raymund August 20, 2012 at 6:31 pm

Wow! I am amazed, that looks so good. Its like the ones you can buy in gourmet chocolate shop.

Miss Kimbers @ Fruit Salad and Mixed Veg August 20, 2012 at 7:16 pm

This is so amazing!!!!!!

Amrita August 20, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I have a hard time choosing between Bounty bars and other candy! And although I’ve never tasted Cherry Ripe, I can tell just by your rendition of it, that I’d love them!

jas @ the gluten free scallywag August 20, 2012 at 8:34 pm

wow, love the strawberry powder, definitely giving that a go plus these little cherry ripe bites look gorgeous – cannot wait to bite into one 🙂

Angie@Angie's Recipes August 20, 2012 at 8:45 pm

These are totally awesome! I love your strawberry powder too.

Lynda - TasteFood August 21, 2012 at 3:11 am

These look positively scrumptious!

Heidi - Apples Under My Bed August 21, 2012 at 7:24 am

oh geese, these look INCREDIBLE! bravo, lady! Mum’s fav = cherry ripe 🙂
      Heidi xo

Sugary Flower August 21, 2012 at 11:24 am

Oh YUM. I have got to make me some of these. I see a new addition to my Christmas cooking repertoire!

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook August 21, 2012 at 11:26 am

A new treat for Santa? Or a pretty alternative to mini fruitcakes to give away as gifts 🙂 Good thinking Sugary Flower!

Nami | Just One Cookbook August 21, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Martyna, oh my goodness these little bites are so beautiful! I’m really really impressed by them right now. It’s like from a fancy chocolate shop!

shez August 21, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Absolutely gorgeous styling Martyna and I love the little cherry stems sticking out from the newly enrobed cherry ripe bites. Delicious!

wykrywacz smaku August 21, 2012 at 7:21 pm

prezentują się po prostu rewelacyjnie, dziękujemy za świetne zdjęcie! 🙂

Peta August 21, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I’ve never made any thing like this but they look so good. Definitely want to have a go at them. Thanks for a great recipe

Justine Cox August 21, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Absolutely love this idea M !!!!

Sara @bellyrumbles August 21, 2012 at 8:48 pm

They look fantastic, especially love the cherry stems sticking out. Lush chocolate work.

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook August 21, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Thanks Sara 🙂 Who knew microwave could be my best friend for tempering chocolate. It seems to work every time!

Christina @ The Hungry Australian August 21, 2012 at 11:18 pm

These look incredible, Martyna. What a fantastic recipe!

Erin @ she cooks, she gardens August 22, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Wonderful recipe, Martyna! I love the whole vibe of this dish and I must give these a go, they would make great gifts at Christmas.

Rachel August 23, 2012 at 1:39 am

I used to love the chocolate covered cherries at Christmas but haven’t eaten them the past few years because they aren’t as tempting now that I know what is in them! I’m going to have to make these instead! thanks for the recipe!

Amanda@Chew Town August 23, 2012 at 8:47 am

The question I am asking myself now is: will I have time to get to the supermarket after work so I can make these tonight!

Tina @ bitemeshowme August 23, 2012 at 8:58 am

These are absolutely amazing. I’d only imagine they’d taste exactly like a cherry ripe! Love it! 🙂

Leah August 23, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Cherry Ripes are my favorite! I too, love the coconut. Am definitely making these ASAP

Monica (@gastromony) August 23, 2012 at 2:13 pm

I always find Cherry Ripe so sweet and never finish an entire bar. Your bites look gorgeous and I can imagine them being the perfect amount of sweet 🙂

Chris August 23, 2012 at 11:35 pm

Can you send me some over? I don’t know how CHerry Ripe bars taste, but those you’ve made look like … well … eh … like I would love to try them right away!

K-bobo @ Gormandize with A-dizzle & K-bobo August 24, 2012 at 11:25 am

These look absolutely delicious! I am definitely bookmarking this to try as soon as cherries come in season! Can’t wait – what a great idea!

Food and Tools August 24, 2012 at 5:48 pm

What a gorgeous recipe and I love how the cherry bites look! 🙂

Awanthi @ Sybaritic Pleasures August 25, 2012 at 7:43 pm

I don’t own a microwave; I’m quite anti-microwave cooking in general so I still temper the old-fashioned way. Ah, those look amazing. I also thought I commented on this before, but apparently I forgot to.

Justine August 26, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Just a fantastic idea, and good for you ! cherry ripe bars are my favourite thing of all !!!!

Little Pudding August 26, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Yum! These would be perfect as an after dinner-party chocolate. Going to try them next time I’m entertaining.

kitchenadventureswithlucy August 27, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Wow, so simple, yet I know these would taste amazing. Cannot wait to make these

Sam September 6, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I wish I could get a bite of these yummy looking strawberry and chocolate bites. your homemade cherry ripe bites looks fab like all bought from any store. This recipe you have shared is tooo good!!

Claire September 10, 2012 at 11:25 pm

This is unbelievable…..these can’t be home made. These look like GREAT!!!

Ledingham Party Supplies December 12, 2012 at 2:16 pm

really delicious and they look amazing.

Diana December 17, 2012 at 4:04 am

looks so delicious. by the way, where did you get your ice cube tray with that shape from?

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook December 17, 2012 at 8:14 am

I got mine from IKEA but you can try any other kitchenware store – many make ice cube trays in different shapes. In fact I saw a very similar one the other day at some random shop. 🙂

84th&3rd | Sour Cherry & Macadamia Cake, including 15 of my favourite cherry recipes! January 10, 2013 at 7:08 am

[…] credits: Spa Bettie | Wholesome Cook | Girl Cooks […]

Cherry crumble slice | harvest and yarn February 13, 2013 at 11:09 pm

[…] Homemade cherry ripe bites (Wholesome Cook) Cherry Garcia Ice cream (Girl Cooks World) […]

kristineduncanKristine February 16, 2013 at 5:53 am

What a fantastic recipe. I made them for my sweetie yesterday for a Valentine’s Day treat. I was lucky enough to find freeze dried strawberries at the store which worked perfectly for the powder and saved me a ton of time. And, I used frozen cherries…just roasted them a little longer. Love that they taste delicious with so few ingredients.

Pasticceria Papa Baked Ricotta Cheesecake | A Replica Recipe | Wholesome Cook March 10, 2013 at 9:19 pm

[…] I love reverse-engineering my favourite foods, I knew I had to make this cheesecake at […]

Cherry Loaf Cake – And A New Foodie Blog Hop! | The Writing Cook March 26, 2013 at 12:40 am

[…] my new foodie friend Martyna posted her recipe for delicious homemade cherry ripe bites which arrived promptly in my inbox. I read through it and wanted it instantly; although I’ve […]

Salmon Salad Sandwich with Avocado “Mayo” | Deciphering Cravings | Wholesome Cook May 6, 2013 at 12:52 pm

[…] – magnesium (try: raw fructose-free chocolate, no sugar cherry ripe bites or hot chocolate made with cacao or unsweetened cocoa and your choice of […]

Homemade Strawberry Quik Milk - Veg Girl RD December 18, 2013 at 7:42 am

[…] sparked by a small bowl of strawberry powder on the counter. I’d made a batch of Homemade Cherry Ripe Bites to take to a holiday party and had leftover pulverized freeze-dried strawberries. Seeing the pink […]

RECIPE: Homemade cherry bites with no added sugar | V I T A L I T Y August 29, 2014 at 12:33 pm

[…] To view the recipe + make these delicious + nutritious treats, visit wholesome-cook.com […]

Amelia October 7, 2014 at 5:36 pm

Wow!!! These look amazing!! Am definitely trying this!!!

Raw Cherry Ripe Slice {Gluten Free, Paleo, Vegan} | Frankie's Feast January 5, 2015 at 1:15 am

[…] also saw a recipe on the Wholesome Cook for home made Cherry Ripe Bites where Martyna made her own strawberry powder for the recipe. I had strawberries overflowing from […]

Raw Cherry Ripe Slice {Gluten Free, Paleo, Vegan} January 25, 2015 at 10:07 am

Cherry Loaf Cake – And A New Foodie Blog Hop! | Writing In The Kitchen September 4, 2015 at 10:35 pm

Carol Abnett January 27, 2017 at 9:24 am

Hi Martyna,
      These look so delicious, could you use frozen cherries when fresh are out of season?

Martyna @ Wholesome Cook February 4, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Yes you can, just strain them once defrosted.

Top 25 Anti-Cancer Foods To Eat Daily (With Recipes) March 16, 2017 at 9:51 am

[…] cherries fresh, or in cherry pie, cherry ripe bites or cherry ice […]

7 Delicious Things To Do With Cherries - Survival Mom September 12, 2017 at 2:43 am

[…] Get full instructions and more details here. […]