If you’ve made my Nutella-inspired spread, you will LOVE the simplicity of these choc hazelnut fudgesicle ice pops. Just add one extra ingredient, mix and freeze!
Nutella ice pops – no sugar version
These fudgy chocolate hazelnut ice creams taste sensational. Inspired by Nutella, but sweetened only with your choice or honey, maple syrup or coconut syrup, they are wonderfully hazelnutty and still slightly sweet.
The texture is actually quite creamy and soft for an ice block. It’s hard to describe… simply put, they don’t turn rock hard as many homemade ice pops can do.
How to make Choc Hazelnut Ice Pops?
Make a batch of the base choc hazelnut spread recipe and use to make 6 ice pops. Aside from the wonderful flavour and texture they contain wholefood ingredients.
The spread already contains hazelnuts, vanilla, good quality oil and some unrefined sweetener. All you need to add is coconut cream (adapted from my recipe in Recipes for Life’s Seasons) or plain old Greek yoghurt. You can use coconut yoghurt or other dairy-free alternatives as well.
I often add a couple of scoops of grass-fed whey protein powder to the mix for an even more balanced snack. Make a double batch from the word go, because these homemade nutella fudgsicle ice pops won’t last long…
Which ice pop moulds to use?
I always get asked about what type of ice cream moulds I use. To be honest, I have a few different ones but like the shape and size of these vintage-style ones.
It’s totally up to you. You can use smaller moulds, in which case you will end up with a few extra servings. To avoid frostbite keep the choc hazelnut ice pops in the mould until ready to serve. Alternatively, remove from moulds, wrap snugly in baking paper, place in a zip lock bag and freeze.
Having the spread on hand and these ice pops packed away in the freezer is always a bonus. Because you never know when an ice cream craving might hit!
Other ice pop recipes you might like to try Mango and Yoghurt Ice Pops | Blackcurrant Caramel Yoghurt Ice Pops | Ruby Rise Red Papaya and Coconut Milk Ice Pops
Choc Hazelnut Fudgesicle Ice Pops
- 1 serving Homemade Nutella Choc Hazelnut Spread or 1 cup store-bought choc hazelnut spread
- 2 cups natural Greek yoghurt or 1 (400ml) can coconut cream or 2 cups dairy-free yoghurt
- Place hazelnut spread in a mixing jug and mix well. Add a quarter of the yoghurt and mix to a smooth consistency. Add remaining yoghurt and mix well.
- Divide the choc hazelnut yoghurt mixture between 6 ice cream moulds (see note above). Insert a paddle pop stick and place in the freezer.
- Freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
- Remove from moulds to serve. Store remaining ice pops in the freezer in the mould, or remove from mould, wrap in baking paper and place in a zip lock bag to freeze.
- The ice pops will keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.