Chimichurri my way

Pin on Pinterest4 Share on Facebook0 Tweet about this on Twitter0 Google+ Email to someone

Taking a leaf out of Frank Sinatra’s song, when it comes to Chimichurri – an Argentinian herb salsa,  I like to do it my way.

I swap the traditional base of parsley out for coriander, because I’m addicted to its fresh lemony flavour and, to be frank, parsley and I have never really been friends. I also prefer to use peanut oil instead of olive oil to protect the delicate balance of flavours in the sauce – olive oil has a tendency to be overpowering at times.

To finish things off I add fish sauce, lime zest and lime juice and voila! The Chimichurri becomes an amazingly fragrant melting pot of tradition with a modern Asian twist. It is irresistibly good as a dipping sauce or a salsa for any type of grilled meat or even seafood and fish, but marries especially well with steak.

Serves 4

Chimichurri my way

The fresh flavours of the salsa go extremely well with any type of grilled meat, fish or even seafood, but marry best with a well-cooked steak.

{Printable recipe}

For the Chimichurri:

• 3 sprigs coriander
  • 1 red long chilli, seeds removed
  • 2 small garlic cloves, peeled
  • 2 tsp fish sauce
  • 4 tsp peanut oil
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • Juice of 1/2 lime

To make the chimichurri: chop the whole coriander sprigs and deseeded chilli finely. Place them in a bowl and add crushed garlic, fish sauce, peanut oil, brown sugar and juice of 1/2 lime. Mix well to combine and set aside for 10 minutes for the flavours to infuse.

To serve: transfer into a serving bowl and serve alongside grilled meats, fish or seafood.

Comments:

27 Responses to Chimichurri my way

1. this sounds incredible. spicy & summery

2. Mez says:

Ohhhhhhhh awesome!!! Like gremolata but totally different, yet can be used in the same way!!! Love it!!! If I could chop things up fine like that then I would make this… Hamish can do it.. but I posses little to NO knife skills. WAH!

3. Gaby says:

Lovely twist. Although some purists (like Francis Mallman) would say you cannot call it a chimichurri :)

4. I could just tuck in to that steak and the spicy topping!

5. Joanne Ozug says:

This is such a unique take on chimichurri!

6. I love a recipe that can be used elsewhere, this would really make a meal special!

A perfect sauce for a wonderfully cooked meat!

8. Timothy R says:

Wow, your steak looks amazingly juicy and the sauce sounds delicious!

9. Anne S says:

Yummy! I prefer your recipe to the traditional chumichurri also – much more up my alley.

10. Sharni says:

Oooh lime with steak I would have never thought so but it looks delicious.

11. Mel says:

Can’t wait to try this on the weekend. Where can I get fish sauce from?

12. Love your version of chimichurri, being the massive coriander fan that I am. It is always nice to have a twist on the traditional.

13. Oh yummy – so wonderfully simple and fresh. That makes it perfect for steak! The photos are also delectable :)

14. Chimichurri is a glutton household favorite. Makes some many things taste better. ;-)

I’ve never heard of chimichurri before, but you’ve certainly sold me on your version.

16. I love the Asian twist. If you still have the grill going, I would like my steak done medium please….Take Care, BAM

17. I LOVE what you did with the Chimichurri… it looks simply delicious and amazing. Doing it your way can be so much fun :)

18. Karen says:

I’m anxious to try your recipe with the fish sauce. I make my chimichurri with cilantro and parsley but the fish sauce will be new.

19. TasteFood says:

I like how you use fish sauce in place of the anchovies. This sounds wonderful.

20. Seven Second Rhapsody says:

Yum… I’m never a big fan of parsley too, and coriander’s just the perfect swap! I’ve always loved a little tang on my steak and this sounds perfect

1. Pingback: 15 minute hot and sour soup with sizzling beef « Wholesome Cook

2. Pingback: The Best Creamy Peppercorn Sauce for Steak | Wholesome Cook

3. Pingback: Christmas Pudding Ice Cream Pops PLUS 12 Other Christmas Party Canapé‎ Recipes | Wholesome Cook