Mini Beef Hot Dogs are a great treat on the weekends, made with organic beef sausages and served with the Best Barbecue Mustard they are that much more delicious!
There’s something magical about an Aussie sausage in a bun. I know this must be true, because one time we actually hosted a charity sausage sizzle at a local Bunnings, and the crowds were pouring in from everywhere. So much so, that by 3pm we had sold out of 900 sausage hot dogs and needed to replenish our stocks. Yep, we served 900 sausages in 6 hours – that’s a hot dog every 24 seconds!!! Needless to say after that day at the barbecue Mr Chipconnoisseur proclaimed: no more sausages for a year! But one whiff of a sizzle at the soccer ground and the cravings soon returned…
The Best Barbecue Mustard
So, tell me, what’s your favourite condiment? Do you have one, or a couple? Do you mix them or like them straight?
- 8 mini (organic) beef sausages
- ½ red capsicum, cut into strips
- 8 crusty dinner rolls (hot dog bun shaped)
- (optional: cheddar cheese)
- handful of mixed lettuce greens
- 4 tbsp mild American mustard
- 2 tbsp barbecue sauce
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tsp smoky paprika
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- Cook sausages and capsicum strips in a pan or on a barbecue until sausages are cooked through and capsicum strips slightly char-grilled.
- Slice bread rolls lengthways but not through. Add some cheese, if using, lettuce leaves, charred capsicum and sausage.
- Top with your favourite condiment, or try this Barbecue Mustard instead.
- Combine both mustards with barbecue sauce and spices. Mix well and serve.