Stone fruit is what summer is all about.Nectarines and peaches enjoyed on their own, with yoghurt or in this little Nectarine, Wombok and Fennel Slaw (see below).
Plums for Spelt Streusel Cake – but you could use lightly stewed apples or pears out of season as well. Nectarines and peaches enjoyed on their own, with yoghurt or in this little Nectarine, Wombok and Fennel Slaw (see below). Cherries to make into Cherry Ripe Bites, lychees which are now in peak season and mangoes.
We are loving mangoes at the moment. Fresh, frozen into pops, pureed and eaten straight from the cheeks.
Nectarine, Wombok and Fennel Slaw
- 2 ripe nectarines or peaches halves, stone removed and flesh cut into wedges
- 1 cup shredded wombok Chinese cabbage
- 1 baby fennel shaved (fronds reserved)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- a few coriander leaves chopped roughly
- a few mintleaves chopped roughly
- a few fennel fronds chopped finely
- pepper to serve
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl, then enjoy on your own for dinner or share with your loved one as a light supper.